[MPlayer-users] Mencoder script for recording TV

Shaun Glass shaunglass at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 07:54:39 CET 2003

Hey,

Have the following scripts that I am trying to use to record a program on my PC. This same script worked fine for streamer, but mencoder has better picture quality and compression with different codecs. The scripts are as follows:

/root/bop/record

#!/bin/sh

v4lctl setstation "MNET"
$HOME/bop/record $HOME/bop/bop`date "+%m-%d"`.avi

/root/bop/record

#!/bin/sh
if [ $1 ]; then
         mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:width=384:height=288:adevice=/dev/dsp:forceaudio:forcechan=2 -o $1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=32 -endpos 01:05:00
else
         echo "Need filename to record to"
fi

/var/spool/cron/root

00 17 4 * * $HOME/bop/record_bop

It will work in the following situations:

./record_bop
sh $HOME/bop/record_bop

but when run by cron, channel is set, ca tell in /var/log/messages, sound by default comes through the speakers, but no file is written.

Anybody got an idea?