[MPlayer-users] Audigy 2 , Mplayer and multichannel output

Russell Altieri raltieri at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 2 02:24:26 CEST 2003

FYI,
	I have gotten a Soundblaster Audigy 2 finally working with mplayer for
5.1 channel output.  There was definitely a learning curve,  and a lot
of searching to find all the missing pieces scattered to the wind on the
internet, especially for novices like myself.  and I'm certainly no
expert yet.  I just wish some info would have been summarized for
dummy's like me.

Step 1.
here's the oss drive for the sb live, audigy audigy 2
http://opensource.creative.com/
get the cvs newest drivers, last revision is old and doesn't support
audigy 2

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emu10k1 login
hit enter for  password.

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emu10k1 co
emu10k1

this will download the files

change to directory and make , make install , make tools , make
install-tools.

Step 2.

now edit /etc/modules.conf and add
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
alias sound-slot-1 emu10k1
post-install emu10k1 /usr/local/etc/audigy-script

modprobe emu10k1      should also work.

Step 3.

Of course, /usr/local/etc/audigy-script from the cvs sucks, so...
go to
http://basic-rip.co.uk/tenpin/linux_audigy_faq.html
and download
http://basic-rip.co.uk/tenpin/audigy-script
and
http://basic-rip.co.uk/tenpin/emu10k1.conf

These seem to actually work.

If you like the options in the script, skip Step 4, otherwise, or just
so you know what is going on,

Step 4.

setup "Routes" for the soundcard.  These route different inputs to
different outputs.  For my example,  I will just want pcm 5.1 channel
input mapped to ananlog 5.1 channel output.  you can edit emu10k1.conf
and pick some options,  this will setup some basic routes for you.  If
you want new ones, use emu-dspmgr -i for inputs and emu-dspmgr -o for
outputs.  Then the not so obvious part.  To setup up a route, do this.
emu-dspmgr -x -z  stop and clear the dsp on the soundcard
emu-dspmgr -a "Pcm:Front" -a "Pcm Rear:Rear" -a "Pcm ctr/sub:Ctr/sub"
this setups up the 5.1 pcm inputs to the 5.1 analog outputs.  you can do
the same for digital
now start the dsp back up
emu-dspmgr -y
and check your routes
emu-dspmgr -r

Step 5.

Again, once I got the mplayer, it still wasn't to easy finding out the
exact details of how to use this, more bits and pieces. My example will
be how to play an mp3 file with 50 ms delay to the rear speakers, and
sub output with a cutoff of 80 hz.

mplayer -af channels=6:4:0:0:0:2:1:1:1:3,delay=0:0:50:50,sub=80:5
-channels 6 yourmp3file.mp3

again, this is 6 channel  output,
4 routes, ch 0 to 0 ,ch 0 to 2, ch 1 to 1, ch 1 to 3, delay ch 0 - 0 ms
ch 1 - 0 ms , ch 2 - 50 ms, ch 3 - 50 ms , subwoofer output on ch 5 with
lp cutoff at 80 hz.

Well,
	That sums up the about 5 nights worth of aggravation, but now you have
5.1 channels of 24 bit sound for a kick butt stereo.  There's still a
lot left to try, with dvd surround sound, digital output, the
possibilities are endless.
My plan is a Audifile Mobile car MP3 / divx / dvd / vcd / TV tuner / Fm
tuner / slave mode perl/tk GUI front end / 7" DIN pull out LCD /
touchpad button control / PC straight to 3 amps surround sound 24 bit
System !!!!

Someday! , I"m getting there.

Good Luck,

	Russ