[MPlayer-users] encoding SVCD from divx avi

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Wed Jul 2 22:57:50 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Lenart Jozsef wrote:

> I want to make an svcd from an divx avi. How can i make it ?
> I've tried it (mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video
> -oac copy -o xxx.mpeg xxx.avi)
> It does well, but in the resulting mpeg has no sound !
> Where is the error ?

I don't know why the sound didn't come through with -oac copy, but that
won't be an SVCD!

> BTW what is the correct format for the svcd ? (480x480, mpeg1 ???, audio
> codec ?)

The correct format for SVCD is MPEG2 audio at 224 Kbits/s, MPEG2 video
at 480x480 interlaced, a combined bitrate no higher than 2552 Kbits/s,
video buffersize no larger than 250 Kb, all mixed up into an MPEG2
container with special extras to make it SVCD, then arranged on CD in
a special format, which is part ISO, part audio CD.

There was a long thread on this list recently on how to make these,
but it boils down to, you need "mpeg2enc" from the mjpeg_play project
on SourceForge to make the video stream. They also have "mp2enc" to
make the MPEG2 audio, or you can get "toolame" to do that.
mjpeg_play's "mplex" can make the (.mpg) container. With the mpg(s),
GNU's "vcdimager" can make the bin/cue image, and with that, and
"cdrdao" -- also from SourceForge -- you can burn the actual CD.

About all "mplayer" is good for, in this regard, is extracting and
scaling the original yuv4mpeg stream which mpeg2enc can operate on
(with -vo yuv4mpeg), and of course it can play all of the mp2 file,
the svcd image, and the physical svcd.

Frederick