[MPlayer-users] Re: Playing xcd image files

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Thu Jul 3 12:16:35 CEST 2003

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:23:58 -0500
Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:

> The main interest I've
> had in making self-playing movie CDs is if I suddenly want to play
> one on someone else's Windoze machine that doesn't have stuff
> installed to play OGMs, Theora, XCD, and whatever other nonstandard
> thing I've experimented with.

Fair point, I've no problem with other people rebooting their
machines :-)

> Perhaps it would be better to just put
> a Winders build of mplayer on the CD. Do you know if it does vcd://?

Dunno, but if so it sounds like the better solution to me.

> What kind of mischief are you talking about?

Installation of trojans or viruses. Formatting your drives. A boot disc
can do whatever it likes.

> Unless software support
> for every aspect of the movie already exists on the machine where
> you want to play it, you'll have to install some new software or
> boot the self-sufficient CD. Which do you think has more potential
> for mischief? I'd much rather ask to restart someone's PC to play a
> movie than ask to install new software.

I took a Knoppix disc round to a friend and booted it on his laptop. Not
only was he less interested than I'd hoped but the machine wouldn't boot
at all afterwards :-( Coincidence? Maybe, but that's not how he saw it.

Martin