[MPlayer-users] Library detection problems; configure is uninformative

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 08:08:28 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:40:07PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I have libfame installed on my system, along with the development
>> headers. ./configure nonetheless reports "Checking for libfame: no
>> (no fame dir)". I have located all files associated with libfame on
>> my system (aside from the documentation), and made sure they are in
>> the library/include paths passed to configure; this makes no
>> difference. Checking configure.log is no help, as the only
>> information provided is exactly what is present in configure's
>> normal output.
>>
>> My question is, where does configure look for libfame? The error
>> seems to indicate that some separate directory is needed, but no
>> indication is given of what it should be called or where it should
>> be located, much less what should be in it.
>

> It looks for fame source in a subdir of mplayer src dir, not
> installed libfame.

And what should this directory be called? The precedent set by other
codecs would seem to suggest calling it "libfame", but the output of
configure would seem to suggest "fame".

I suppose the thing to do is find a fame CVS and grab that, then copy
over...

> BTW fame support is deprecated and might not work anymore anyway...
> lavc is superior in all ways now afaik...

If it's deprecated (I'll take your word for it), oughtn't it be noted
somewhere as such? Particularly if it would no longer function correctly...

I'll presume from the lack of comment on the other two-thirds of my post
that either you don't know anything to answer, or you think it too
insignificant to bother with, which if true should tell me something. ^_^

--
       The Wanderer