[MPlayer-users] variable bitrate, fixed quality

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Jul 7 18:49:23 CEST 2003

Hello,

I want to encode a video with a completely variable bitrate but with a
fixed quality. I don't want to use a fixed quantizer too, because this
would waste space. The codec should decide which is the best quantizer
for a particular scene (in the ideal case there would be a -quality
option).

Can someone tell me the appropriate encoding options? I tried it with
lavc and xvid without success.

They both always try to achieve the specified bitrate (If I don't specify
one, the default of 800 is used).

Thanks in advance,

   --Nikolaus