[MPlayer-users] DVD playback problem

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Jul 8 16:56:12 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, 08 July 2003, Asad Quraishi wrote:
> What do you mean I don't help you?

You didn't read bugreports.html in the docs and you didn't follow the
instructions for reporting a bug/problem.

> Another individual replied to my post and suggested that my driver may
> have broken Xv support.  Starting from this point I did a lot of
> reading.  I was about to download and install the alsa drivers but
> before I did I used xvinfo to see what I could see and discovered that
> the maximum supported resolution for my card was 1024X1024.  I had also
> read that I should try a bpp of 16 (vs 24 which is what I had).  After
> reducing my screen resolution to 1024X768 and the bpp to 16 it worked.
>
> Thanks go to Dominik Mierzejewski for his help.  All I needed was a
> starting point to start researching from.

I was guessing from what little information you provided. You wrote "RedHat
8 RPMs" so I guessed you were using the xv output, because that's the
default in my packages, the symptoms were similar to other such reports and
there's a long history of trouble with S3 cards. Nevertheless, following
the instructions would have saved me (and others willing to help) a lot of
guesswork, so try to do better next time and don't get discouraged by the
"RTFM and RTFDOCS" attitude. It's nothing personal, but most newbies just
don't do things the right way. :) Oh, and next time, please reply below the
quoted text and cut any signatures.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/