[MPlayer-users] SB Live TV Audio on Linux/FreeBSD

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 8 16:57:30 CEST 2003

I already RTFM, and just to prove it, here's the only thing there that
is remotely related to what I am interested in:

 > Q: My tuner works, I can hear the sound and watch the video with
MPlayer, but MEncoder doesn't encode audio!
 >     A: TV audio encoding for Linux is currently unimplemented, we're
working on it. At the moment it works only on BSD.

I find that a bit strange, because I have successfully recorded TV with
audio using mencoder on Linux already.  Maybe "T.F.M." is out of date?

I've put a LOT of effort into getting TV-input with MPlayer/Mencoder to
work with Linux/FreeBSD, but sound is the big hang-up.

Under Linux, I tried my onboard CMPCI soundchip, and it worked.
Mencoder producted a video with audio, but the audio was quite noisy,
quite, and really just quite terrible.  Obviously, it's probably just a
problem with the cheap onboard sound, so I stick in my SoundBlaster
Live, and use that instead.  The problem with that is, mencoder reports
"no sound" every time I try it.  I can even hear the audio passing
through the Line-in, but mencoder can't record from it.

In fact, after the first failure with the OSS drivers, I tried with the
ALSA drivers, only to have the same results.

I have two harddrives in this system, and the other drive is for FreeBSD
(which I would rather use).  Unfortunately, I have the exact same
experience.  Mencoder has no problem recording the audio from the CMPCI
sound device, but gives me a "no sound" error with my SoundBlaster Live.

I've adjusted the mixer a million different ways, but with a "no sound"
error, I don't believe any mixer setting is going to help.  I've looked
thorugh all the "-tv" options in the man page, but none seem to even be
close to applying to the situation...  I've tried to use forceaudio,
adevice=/dev/dsp, and things like that with no success.  This has all
been using MPlayer-0.90-final.

Searches just turn up a lot of unrelated problems, and I really have no
idea where to go at this point.  Any help on the issue is greatly
appreciated.