[MPlayer-users] Re: BUG: CVS mencoder barfs at end of DVD-stream.dump

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jul 8 22:55:01 CEST 2003

Hans Meine wrote:
> I recently wanted to experiment with aspect-stuff encoding a DVD, which I
> ripped with mplayer into a stream.dump (a whole title). But two-pass encoding
> would not work, because several (each four-hour-long :-( ) tries ended in an
> invalid divx2pass.log after pass one.
>
> I found out that the bug is triggered by the end of the file, encoding ANY
> part before the last frame works. So I dd'ed the last mbs and uploaded them
> as "movie_end.vob" and a description as "movie_end.txt". Part of the latter
> follows:

I've had a similar problem with a couple of DVDs recently, though many
have not had any such problem.

One (the "Red Dragon" fullframe NTSC DVD) switches aspect ratio from 4:3
to 16:9 for just one scene right in the middle of the movie. I've never
seen such a thing. MPlayer tries to reinitialize the vo and produces a
black screen when playing. Xine keeps the image, but mistakenly sticks
with 16:9 after the scene is done. Mencoder screwed up the encoder log
file and then crashed.

The other (the "Frank Herbert's Dune" NTSC DVD) confuses mencoder very
near the end, which complains about the audio stream ending.

Jonathan Rogers