[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jul 9 03:05:42 CEST 2003

[Reposted with the correct Subject: line - sorry...]

>I have noticed that Mplayer CVS now supports MPEG2 TS files, I was
>wondering what
>possibility there may be to have Mplayer work as a client to VideoLAN server
>(www.videolan.org), which sends MPEG2 TS (encapsulated in UDP protocol) over a
>network either as unicast or multicast.  I have tried using the RTSP/RTP
>info from
>live.com but they don't seem to be compatible with VideoLAN's stream.
>(videolan puts
>audio and video in one stream, not two as rtsp seems to require).

RTSP doesn't 'require' that audio and video get sent in separate streams -
that happens only if the RTSP server chooses to do this.  RTSP/RTP sessions
can also be sent in a single, multiplexed stream.

It's quite likely that the LIVE.COM RTSP/RTP support can be made to play
these streams (if it can't already).  (It's possible, though, that the
VideoLAN server is not standards-compliant in some way.)  Could you please
re-run MPlayer with the "-V" option, i.e.,
         mplayer -V rtsp://<whatever>
and send me the output?

(I'm assuming, of course, that you're using the "latest CVS snapshot"
version of MPlayer - not the 0.90 version (for which the RTSP/RTP code
doesn't work properly).)

         Ross Finlayson
         LIVE.COM