[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jul 9 05:19:18 CEST 2003

> >No, it's not.  The problem really is that the network is unreachable -
> >because the IP address in your URL is not real!
>
>I disagree, 234.5.6.7 is a valid multicast IP/group address

Oops - you're right.  And *that's* your problem!  The IP address in a
"rtsp://" URL must be a *unicast* IP address - the IP address of the
server.  Note that RTSP uses TCP, which is why it needs to use a unicast
address.

Just use
         rtsp://<ip-address-of-the-server>

> >Yes, but does its server support RTSP?  I.e., what made you think that
> >"rtsp://234.5.6.7:1234" is a valid URL for playing that stream?
> >
>See above.  I don't know that it supports "RTSP" but it does say that it
>uses RTP to
>send the stream.

I suspect that it *doesn't* use RTSP.  If not, then you'll need to create a
SDP file, and use MPlayer's "sdp://" pseudo-url - i.e.
         sdp://<path-to-SDP-file>

The SDP file should look something like the following:

v=0
s=Test MPEG-2 TS session
t=0 0
m=video 1234 RTP/AVP 33
c=IN IP4 234.5.6.7/255

Note the "33", which is the static RTP payload format for MPEG-2 Transport
Streams, "234.5.6.7", which is the session's multicast address, and "1234"
which is the session's (multicast) port number.

I hope this works.

         Ross.