[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer as a Client for VideoLAN server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Jul 9 10:31:26 CEST 2003

>I have gotten a little further - It looks like I need to tell Videolan to
>send with
>rtp protocol rather udp - and then mplayer gets a little futher - I see a
>video
>window come up with some corrupted video then mplayer crashes....

What's probably happening here is that packets are getting lost (probably
because you're trying to stream over a LAN that's not sufficiently
high-bandwidth).  Unfortunately MPlayer's MPEG decoder library is not very
robust; it can crash if it encounters missing data in the middle of a MPEG
stream.

If you save the incoming stream to a file (using "-dumpvideo"), you'll
probably find that MPlayer will crash - in the same way - if you later try
to play that file.  (The good news, though, is that will give you a
repeatable way to produce the crash - which should help people debug the
problem.)

         Ross.