[MPlayer-users] problem with DVD sound

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Wed Jul 9 19:43:13 CEST 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 02:15, Damion de Soto wrote:

> Bert Haverkamp wrote:
> > There are two sound tracks on the dvd. a stereo (lpcm) and 5.1 (dts)
> > track I have to add -aid 160 to the command line to get it to work with
> > the lpcm track. But without this option it doesn't work.  Is this a bug
> > in the mplayer track selection algorithm?
>
> Unless you've got a DTS encoder, you'll only be able to play the lpcm
> track.
>
> DVDs have a 'default' audio track, don't they?
> I have to specify -aid on quite a few of mine since I can't play the
> default track because it's DTS or 2 channel instead of 5.1
>
> So, I don't think this is a bug.  I guess a feature request would be a list
> of preferential -aid options that mplayer tries in order.

Mmnm, I only agree with  you partly. The DVD doesn't know my systems
capabilities. Mplayer does (sort of) So mplayer should pick the type of track
that can be used. I don't have dts on my computer so mplayer shouldn't pick
it. But how do I specify this? Is the audio track type directly linked to a
aid number? i.e. is aid 160 always lpcm?

My feature request therefore is that I can specify my preference in audio type
or a list of audio types that it tries in order.
Where can I put such a request officially?

Two questions remain.
1:Do all DVDs have a option to downgrade from DTS to something with 2
channels?
2: if not, is it possible to convert DTS to something that can come out my
simple 2 channel soundcard?

Regards,

Bert