[MPlayer-users] variable bitrate, fixed quality

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Wed Jul 9 23:21:26 CEST 2003

D. Richard Felker, III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>> > They're explained in the mplayer man page.
>>
>> Yes. But an explanation like
>>
>>                  vqcomp=<value>
>>                      quantizer compression,  depends  upon  vrc_eq  (pass 1/2)
>>                      (default: 0.5)
>>
>> isn't really helpful if you aren't an MPEG developer.
>> Your explanation below is indeed very good. I think that this type of
>> explanation should be in the manpage.
>
> Ah, sorry... Apparently someone removed the old good explanation from
> the manpage and put that crap in its place... :/

Probably the same guy who added:

                 vpass=<1-2>
                     Activates internal two pass mode,  only  specify  if  you
                     wish to use two pass encoding (default: disabled).
                        1: first pass
                        2: second pass

                     Tip:  Try  to  use  constant  quantizer mode for pass one
                     (vqscale=<quantizer>).

(On the ffmpeg list I was told this is absolute crap too)

Is the old manpage (with the description of the other options) still
somewhere available?

   --Nikolaus