[MPlayer-users] Re: strange mencoder behaviour

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Jul 11 09:53:47 CEST 2003

Andrea Meroni wrote:
> Hi, I've been working on how to encode for weeks and
> now I think I'm ready, but there's something strange.
> Mplayer works fine with DVD and divx encoded under
> windows, but I can't play my divx encoded with
> mencoder. I mean they are skippy both with mplayer and
> windows-player. My encoding command is really simple:
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac
> mp3lame -lameopts  preset=128 -alang it  && mencoder
> -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=949:vhq:vpass=1 -oac copy -o
> /dev/null && mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=949:vhq:vpass=2 -oac copy -o
> movie.avi
>
> What's the problem?

If you have an NTSC DVD, you probably need to force the output framerate
to 23.976 fps, with -ofps. However, it looks like you live in Italy, so
you may have a PAL DVD, which is totally different. Check for lots of
duplicate frame or dropped frame messages in the output, which usually
indicate a framerate mismatch and jerky output. Make sure you read
encoding-tips.txt.

Jonathan Rogers