[MPlayer-users] Live TV Audio on Linux

Raena Lea-Shannon raen7 at ihug.com.au
Fri Jul 11 10:35:17 CEST 2003

I am not sure if this sheds any light on your SB Live problems. I just had the
same problem recording audio from TV using mencoder. ie It recorded video but
no audio. I checked everything in mixer and coomand line capture cofigs and
nothing seemed to work. I finally discovered the problem is a setting in the
mixer for my SB Audigy scard. Even though I have the soundcard audio out
plugged into the Line In on the SB soundcard the mixer requires volume on the
channel Auddigy AC97 Capture as well as Line in with Capture On. I am using
Alsamixer for this.

Not sure if this is the same for SB Live. Please tell list if this is relevant
to your SB Live or if this is hogwash for you.
Thanks

On Thursday 10 July 2003 19:08, rcooley wrote:

> Raena Lea-Shannon wrote:
> > What are you putting in your command line? I run SB Audigy Card on SuSE
> > 8.2 using the Mplayer install for SuSE 8.2 rpm and have had no problems
> > using mencoder to record off TV card, the sound is fine I use mp3lame
> > encoding and lavc video.
>
> Well, I can safely say that the command-line isn't the problem.  I
> replaced my SB Live with an Ensoniq 5880, and once I loaded the drivers,
> everything worked perfectly with no other changes at all.  I don't
> include any audio options on the command-line, so it's not like I chose
> something it couldn't work with.
>
> I was thinking that there may be some odd option for mplayer that some
> sound cards might require.  I don't think it's a driver issue, because I
> have successfully captured sound under Linux using MythTV with the SB
> Live and ALSA drivers under Linux.  Not to mention that I had the same
> problem with both OSS and ALSA on Linux, and had the same problems on
> FreeBSD as well.
>
> (I also noticed that the picture quality is rather bad on FreeBSD, and
> that the max res is limited to 640x480.  Does anyone know anything about
> that, such as how it can be fixed or worked around?)

Raena Lea-Shannon