[MPlayer-users] MPlayer volume control misbehaviours

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun Jul 20 20:55:06 CEST 2003

Stefan Lange wrote:

> You're probably using the oss-driver that comes with the
> kernel-sources (cmpci.o). This driver is somewhat broken (PCM volume
> control doesn't work). Either adjust volume via the MASTER volume
> control, or give ALSA a try.

I thought I'd been able to adjust PCM volume elsewhere with OSS output
and have it be effective... but I just tested a couple of things, and it
didn't work. I'll see about looking at ALSA, though I've gotten used to
having one audio output method across the board. (On my old system I had
to use ESD for proper audio playback from XMMS, but for some reason
which I forget I had to use OSS for proper playback with mplayer... most
annoying.)

On a completely different subject: not long after I started using CVS
mplayer - sometime in early June, I think, or perhaps a little earlier -
I saw an exchange in an archive of what ISTR was the mplayer-dev-eng
list (on gmane, I think) about a patch to fix the incompatibility
between mplayer's Theora support and the current Theora API. This patch
has never shown up in mplayer CVS AFAIK, although the exchange I recall
seemed to conclude with someone (Ar'pi?) telling the person who'd
submitted the patch "I'll give you CVS write access, commit it
yourself". Does anyone know what might have happened?

(Yes, I know I should probably dig up the exchange and at least report
dates and names, but I'm in a bit of a hurry....)

--
       The Wanderer