[MPlayer-users] XFree86 hardware acceleration

Matt Ficken mattficken at mail.com
Mon Jul 21 23:00:43 CEST 2003

I'm playing DVDs on my i686-linux box using Mplayer w/ mplayer using about 15% of my cpu cycles, while XFree86 is using about 40% of my cpu cycles to render the video.

Is there a low-cost hardware acceleration card I could use to take some of the burden off of XFree86? I'm using an nVIDIA nForce SVGA card. Are there settings I could change to lower XFree86's workload

I've heard that mplayer can send the video directly to a graphics card's TV-out port, thus elminating the XFree86 rendering.  But I want to play the DVDs onto my computer monitor while having other windows on the screen for other things I'm doing.

:)
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers