[MPlayer-users] Re: gmplayer and SUID

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jul 22 08:03:15 CEST 2003

Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Monday, 21 July 2003, Juan C. Gallardo wrote:
>
>>To be able to use mplayer fullscreen I had to set the SUID bit of the
>>program.
>

> Huh? That's nonsense. Both mplayer and gmplayer work perfectly without the
> SUID bit set.

Perhaps you should try RTFMing before blasting someone:

----------------------------from the docs-------------------------------
DGA is short for Direct Graphics Access and is a means for a program to
bypass the X-Server and directly modifying the framebuffer memory.
Technically spoken this happens by mapping the framebuffer memory into
the memory range of your process. This is allowed by the kernel only if
you have superuser privileges. You can get these either by logging in as
root or by setting the SUID bit on the MPlayer executable (not recommended).

However, Juan didn't give enough detail and we don't know if he is using
DGA.

Jonathan Rogers