[MPlayer-users] Re: Fast recompress

Stefan Seyfried seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de
Wed Jul 23 09:12:44 CEST 2003

rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com writes:

> not converting to RGB and back.  My understanding is that the situation is
> similar in mencoder - colorspace conversions are already performed only when
> necessary, which should mean that most of the time they're not performed at
> all.

Maybe it would also be possible to skip the quantizing stage of encoding
if one wants to crop black bars when recompressing a movie, since the
actual picture stays the same, the quantizers and motion vectors should
also stay the same. This would probably only work when using the exact same
codec with exact same parameters or (more probably) would not work at
all and is certainly not worth the hassle of implementing it :-)
And of course this should be discussed on the ffmpeg list ;-))

 Stefan Seyfried, seife at gmane0305.slipkontur.de