[MPlayer-users] copy protection

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Jul 23 20:35:20 CEST 2003

Bokor Norbert wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My question is: can mencoder grab copy-protected DVD tracks?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do some DVDs have copy protection
beyond the usual encryption? In any case, I've never seen a DVD that
mplayer couldn't play, and mencoder can encode from any source mplayer
can handle.

> I cannot try it, because I have no DVD-ROM yet, but if I can
> grab DVD movies, I should buy a reader.
> And the second question: can I grab audio into ac3 (5.1) format?
> Can I use -oac ac3 (or something like this)? (In the man I found only
> mp3lame, pcm and copy modes).

Using -oac copy will simply copy the audio unchanged, so if the source
audio is AC3 (such as on most DVDs), you'll end up with AC3 audio in the
resultant AVI.

-Corey