[MPlayer-users] Re: mencoder/crop => image distortion

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Jul 29 10:45:08 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> Lines come in pairs (because of the way chroma works, so I would
> always use crop sizes and offsets that are even numbers. Otherwise you
> could seriously misalign or distort the color.

Isn't it the job of the scaler to deal with that? I've cropped to
odd dimensions several times with no problems. It's easy to test
too: just play the movie with the desired crop (and scale if you
want). If the color is distorted, something broke. If not,
there's no reason to think encoding would do any worse.

Jonathan Rogers