[MPlayer-users] Video editor advice?

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Jul 30 10:17:38 CEST 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Alan Murrell wrote:

>I have a few video files I have encoded via MPlayer using '-oac copy' and
>'-ovc rawgrb', which outputs excellently to a 700MB Divx file.  However,

? -oac rawrgb doesn't make divx, so i don't understand what you're saying!
How big are the rgb files? You might want to use I420 instead of rgb, that
cuts the file size to half. yv12 in .mov format should work fine with
cinelerra which is the equivalent (dunno if cinelerra supports I420/YV12
avis, broadcast2000 doesn't).

But you need to edit codecs.conf of Mplayer to get yv12 in mov to be
readable.

I made a patch to mplayer to allow writing I420 avis:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/
(the *rawyuv.* patch)
Somebody please post this to the devel list!

>before converting to DIvx, I would like to cut out a few unneeded portions
>(commercials), which I would like to do via a video editor.

I've used Broadcast2000 (the predecessor of cinelerra) for this, but
I haven't used it with large files (just 2 GB or so). But I'm very
surprised if larger files don't work: maybe you must compile the editor
with special options (-D_LARGEFILE ?)

>Is there another editor I can use that will allow me to open the rawrgb
>stream, indicate where I want the commercials cut out, then encode to DivX?

kino should do this, but at least the version included in Debian doesn't
support any sane movie formats (maybe newer versions do).
And then there's commercial program mainactor, evaluation version should be
available for no cost.