[MPlayer-users] Compile with new kernel

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jul 31 19:34:02 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 05:29:48PM +0200, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 05:19:24PM +0200, Janos Makadi wrote:
> > Sorry for not replaying to the letter, but I'm reading the list in digest.
>
> No prob.
>
> > So, it doesn't matter if the /usr/src/linux is a link or not. The
> > building process produce the same result. (Could you drop me a mail to
> > desribe, what's the difference beetween a link and a directory in this
> > point?)
>
> Well. The fact is, some broken distributions (and some strange people)
> thinks that /usr/src/linux should point to the current kernel's includes
> which is WRONG. It should be point to the kernel headers was used TO COMPILE
> LIBC on your system ... There were enough threads about this topic even on
> the "big" Linux kernel mailing list.

This is wrong too, especially in cases like this. It keeps you from
using new drivers (fb, v4l, etc.) available when you get a new kernel.
And none of this has anything to do with libc. In fact, glibc is
supposed to be kernel-header-independent, so kernel headers should
only be used to getting the structs to use with ioctls, ioctl numbers,
etc. -- not any syscall interfaces.

FYI, I have used a system with symlinks to /usr/src/linux for 6 years
now with no problems whatsoever, so I have no idea why the distro
people think you have to use the same kernel headers you compiled libc
with...

Rich