[MPlayer-users] mplayer : wrong time displayed when seeking

Jean-Luc MALET jl.malet at laposte.net
Tue Jun 3 10:57:43 CEST 2003

hello,
I just begun to encode using mplayer/mencoder
I use -ss option for starttime and mplayer to find the correct time BUT
the time isn't correct:

when reading the file without seeking and watching for a time shift
nothing appens : time is incremented normaly and correct time is displayed

when doing a seek with -> or <- a time shift occurs : the movie is
correctly seeked (it seems) +10s BUT the displayed time is added 14s on
one dvd and  25s on other one.

seems like on player the seek is correct (seek with type 0) but the
display use a percent seek (this could explain the fact that the shift
isn't constant from one dvd to another)

as a result at end of part the correct time is something like 1400.6 and
correct time is 1100 (this on dvd 1, the value change on dvd 2)

the total shift depends on how many time you pressed the -> and <- and when.

I thought it comes from clock but the result is the same with /dev/rtc
or software clock

currently I use the following methods to get right timings :
do a #mplayer -ss $SEEKTIME
with SEEKTIME different on each call
press Q to stop mplayer
affine the seek..... this means launching 20-30 times mplayer

anyway without this bug mplayer/mencoder would be great ! :)