[MPlayer-users] upgraded, now having quality issues

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jun 3 21:23:25 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:15:28AM -0700, Bryan J. Opfer wrote:
> I recently set up a new computer to encode my video captures.  So, I
> figured I would start using the latest MPlayer as well.  I was using
> MPlayer-0.90pre9 on my old system.  Since I have upgraded, I have noticed
> the quality of my divx files has gone down.  There is a lot more
> blockiness and the video looks pretty bad in high motion.
>
> My assumption is that some of the defaults changed between the pre version
> and the release version.  I have read the man page many times and searched
> the mailing list and found some threads about the options to get the best
> quality, but it has not helped much.
>
> With my pre version of mplayer I used the following options:
>
> 	vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:vhq:keyint=30:vpass=1
>
> and the same for vpass=2.
>
> With the latest mplayer I am using:
>
> 	vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:vhq:v4mv:keyint=30:
> 	vlelim=-4:vcelim=7:lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.01:vpass=1

You should probably compare using the same options, not different
ones...

> and, again, the same for vpass=2.
>
> Can anyone out there help me out with what options I should be using on
> the latest version, so that I can get the same quality that I did in the
> pre version?

I would recommend reporting this to the ffmpeg-devel list, since it's
probably not mplayer-specific. Also, keep in mind that a keyframe
interval of 30 is going to give rather bad quality, since keyframes
are very large. the default (something like 250) makes more sense, and
you can just go up to 132 if you want to remain within the official
mpeg4 spec.

Rich