[MPlayer-users] Re: Bug or misconfig in tv audio language support?

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Thu Jun 5 11:55:06 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 00:38, mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:

> > > Try using -af pan=1:1:0 or -af pan=1:0:1 to get rid of one of the
> > > channels.
> >
> > This is a playback option.  I'm really looking for a record option, or a
> > playback keyboard command that would cycle through the 4 sound playback
> > modes: 1: stereo, 2: mono, 3: left on both channels (Lang 1), and 4:
> > right on both channels (Lang 2).
>
> No, this is an option for mplayer or mencoder, which will do exactly
> what you want.

Hmmm. I've tried this for mencoder; it appears to have no effect, and
the manpage says it's mplayer only.  I'm guessing that I have not hit on
the right combo of modes in tv, af, and mp3lame opts.  I'll try
practicing with mplayer first :-)

> > Yup.  This should work, but I'd still rather control it via mplayer.
>
> Wait, I'm confused now. Do you want to record both channels, and then
> pick one to play later? Or do you just want to record one channel??

Well, for this tape, I'd like to record it in English (Lang 2).  But in
general, it would be nice if I could pick the language at playback, much
as I do with my tape player, which has the following options: mono,
stereo, L, R - and L and R will put that channel out both stereo
channels, in effect picking a language.

--Yan