[MPlayer-users] Re: Random pause while playback?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon Jun 9 17:51:47 CEST 2003

Bob Cheng wrote:
> Dear Jonathan:
>
>  I totally agree what you have said. Can you teach me how to troubleshoot
> this skipping problem? I don't see any meaningful console message by
> myself.
> My CPU loading (by top) is only 60%-70%, I have tried several different
> mpeg2
> and divx movies, and different sound drivers (oss, alsa,
> alsa-oss-emulation)..

In my experience, if MPlayer needs all of the CPU time for playback,
there aren't really pauses, but the playback just gets jerky. I would
guess it's an IO throughput problem somewhere. The first thing is to
make sure MPlayer is using a large enough buffer. Try "-cache 8192" if
there isn't already a large buffer. Make sure DMA is enabled on the
drive from you're playing. Try copying the movie or part of it to a
faster drive

I know very little about MPlayer internals, since I'm just a user. One
of the developers may be able to give more insight.

Jonathan Rogers