[MPlayer-users] More on encoding quality - using Vorbis

joe user palehaole at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 02:11:09 CEST 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions on improving encoding
quality.  Obviously this is not a simple question of
"what is the right command to encode a dvd".  There
are many factors.

My goal is to store DVD content in a format that is
high-quality but compact, and playable with MPlayer.
It looks like the best output format is Audio Video
Interleaved (AVI), and the best video encoding system
is MPEG4 using the lavc.  Is that right?

On the audio side, I tried using -oac copy, but that
resulted in about 1gb of audio data in the file.  I
know that Vorbis can do a great job of compressing
audio without any noticable loss of quality, so I
compiled all the Vorbis libs, did configure
--enable-vorbis and make.  Configure says that it
detects vorbis, but when I do mencoder -oac help to
list the available options, it only lists copy and
raw.  Is there a way to make a Vorbis-audio encoded
output?  For that matter, any kind of output encoding
would be better than copy.

Thanks for your help.