[MPlayer-users] More on encoding quality - using Vorbis

joe user palehaole at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 02:57:09 CEST 2003

--- Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:
> If you want to use vorbis, I suggest you use
> OGMtools:
> http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/
>
> You can follow the instructions in the OGMtools
> README to combine lavc
> video with vorbis audio in an OGM container. This
> path has its
> associated advantages and disadvantages, which have
> been discussed in
> detail on this list before (search the archives).

Thanks for the info on that.  That sounds like it
would work but the hassle factor is not worth whatever
benefit I get from Vorbis instead of good ole MP3.

> Or, you could use mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts
> <your-options> to
> encode the audio to mp3. This usually works well to
> produce good-quality
> mp3 audio, but beware of very slight audio-video
> desynchronization in
> some cases. :(

Ok, that is what I will do, which brings me to my next
problem: I installed lame and reconfigured/compiled
MPlayer but when I do mencoder -oac help I don't get
mp3lame on the list.

I think the problem is that I am using RH 9, which
doesn't come with any MP3 support.  Do I need to grab
some other libs to get -oac mp3lame to work?

Btw, I assume that an AVI, encoded with MPEG4 video
and MP3 audio is basically what an SVCD is?

I am SO ready for the Xiph crew to get us a working
Ogg Theora, so I can have one simple container and
encoding system that I know is well-designed.

Thanks!