[MPlayer-users] mencoder /mplayer bugs

jean luc MALET jean-luc.malet at irts.fr
Tue Jun 10 11:22:13 CEST 2003

hello
I've writed a  script to do DVD to Xvid encoding with multiple selection
(for anime dvd ripp with cut from episode to episode)
I've figured that time displayed by mplayer isn't the same than the time
used with -ss option (i do a mplyer -ss 700 which seeks me to the time
1430) (the value are just a hint since it seems that the shift change on
each dvd) this problem leads to the timings problem : I want to encode a
small piece of 45s begining at -ss 700 so I use mencoder -ss 700 -endpos
45 .... ok. BUT the most common method used is to determine timing using
mplayer
problem : the "best" method is to use "mplayer -ss value" until I find
the end BUT in the previous case "mplayer -ss 730" give me the end of
my part.........730-700=30 where are the 15s remaining?
so I need to determine precisely the lenght and for this wanted to use
the slave mode (to do seek value,pause,seek,pause... return length) and
since all my automatic script was in bash.....
so i tried
#echo "pause" | mplayer -slave myoptions
or
a fifo (mkfifo) and
#mpalyer -slave myoptions <myfifo
and on another xterm :
#echo "pause" >myfifo

the both are identical : write "pause" into a file (the stdin) which
should pause mplayer BUT mplayer seems not to read stdin since my #echo
"pause" >myfifo never returns
(mk a fifo and do echo "pause" >myfifo on term1 and cat myfifo on term2
here are the results :
time           term1                                              term2
1               #echo "pause" >myfifo                     ....
#cat myfifo
3               ...                                                   pause
)
so if my echo never returns then this is because the other one never

any idea?