[MPlayer-users] Video quality

joe user palehaole at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 23:36:32 CEST 2003

--- Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:
> That's if you only don't care much about audio
> quality or size. You'll
> probably have to use 128kbps in MP3 CBR to get the
> same quality as
> Vorbis at about 80 or 90kpbs.

You're right on that, but I'm still struggling to get
the video quality to acceptable levels.  I tried using
lavc mpeg4 with vhq and the quality was not
acceptable.  Are my expectations too high, or is it
possible to get a good amount of compression while
retaining an image quality that is not too far off
from the quality of the original DVD?

The effect that I am observing is that flat spaces,
like the surface of a car or clouds, look terrible.
It is not so noticable if the video is playing
(movement blurs the problem) but if I freeze a frame,
the quality difference is obvious.

Any tuning suggestions for lavc options, or should I
just stick with uncompressed DVD?

I have high hopes for Ogg Theora, which I just noticed
is now in MPlayer's CVS.  If Ogg Theora is anything
like Ogg Vorbis it's going to be the only choice in
video encoding.