[MPlayer-users] Re: setting aspect after encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jun 11 04:48:59 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 04:37:46PM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> j.a.l wrote:
> >[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >while encoding i screewed up, setting aspect=1.33 instead of 1.78.
> >is there a way to set the correct aspect ( perhaps by direct write on
> >.avi offset ) but encoding it again ?????? ;
> >( using the -bad - avi as source and huge vbitrate doesn't really speed
> >up the process of re-encoding )
>
> An easy workaround is to write an mplayer config file for the movie and
> put "aspect=1.78" in it. The details are in the "GENERAL NOTES" section
> of the manpage. Though this is MPlayer-specific, setting the aspect in
> the MPEG-4 video stream (AVI doesn't store aspect) probably doesn't work
> for other players either. Even ffdshow (a Win32 DirectShow filter using
> libavcodec) doesn't respect the aspect value.
>
> As long as you plan to play a movie with MPlayer, you can do all kinds
> of cool customization using movie-specific config files.

I would strongly recommend *against* using movie-specific config
files, since there is absolutely no way to override the settings in
them. They take precedence over the command line, which is really
stupid... :( Instead for stuff like this, I've just been putting a
text file on the CD with instructions to the user on how to play the
file correctly...

Rich