[MPlayer-users] RTFM?

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Wed Jun 11 05:13:03 CEST 2003

В сообщении от Вторник 10 Июнь 2003 17:10 Frederick Bruckman написал:

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Sergei Klink wrote:
> >
> > ÷ ÓÏÏÂÝÅÎÉÉ ÏÔ ÷ÔÏÒÎÉË 10 éÀÎØ 2003 16:35 Mike Carr ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > > DOCS/bugreports.html]

> > As for the RTFM lines - I would strongly oppose removing them, even if
> > they aren't that effective - who knows how many _stupid_ questions they
> > in fact help to eliminate :)
>
> Isn't that a bit like saying, "I know it's not helping, but at least
> we're doing something!"?

Well, my point is exactly the opposite - we don't really know how much they're
helping : every time it helps, there just won't be another question on the
list, and we'll never know that the user actually had the question :)
But that can be found out by removing them for a few months and looking at the
results; however, in case they _did_ help, the result might not be too
pleasant and worth the effort :( Maybe something like a poll at mplayerhq.hu
would help :)

Anyways, just my opinion :) ; I just don't see how does a single line at the
top and four at the bottom reminding you to RTFM _and_ giving the appropriate
links are a problem to anyone.