[MPlayer-users] RTFM?

blorton at giantstudios.com blorton at giantstudios.com
Wed Jun 11 17:52:24 CEST 2003

>>As for the RTFM lines - I would strongly oppose removing them, even if they
>>aren't that effective - who knows how many _stupid_ questions they in fact
>>help to eliminate :)
>>

>Isn't that a bit like saying, "I know it's not helping, but at least
>we're doing something!"?

Actually it does have an affect.  I had a movie that wouldn't play
properly and joined the list to post a message about it.  When I saw all
of the RTFM messages it was a little intimidating so I RTFM, upgraded my
mplayer to a later rpm build and my movie playing problem magically
vanished.  I do think it can be toned-down a bit though.  The "Automatic
answer" part of the message is unnecessarily elitist.  No matter what
you post, "Automatic answer: you are an idiot."