[MPlayer-users] sustaining a/v-desync with vbr

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jun 12 02:23:08 CEST 2003

[cc: me on replies!]

moin,

as a consequence of a longer cpu overload during tv recording an
a/v-desync occurs (i suppose, audio frames were dropped, but can't
confirm now). that wouldn't be _too_ much of a problem, if the offset
stayed constant ... but both the video and audio streams are vbr and
somehow the a/v-sync is so deranged, that the rest of the recording is
totally screwed up - i continuously have to adjust the offset manually
to be able to view the flick halfways.
so what i'm essentially requesting is better sync recovery after
framedrops, i suppose. dunno.

another, possibly related phenomenon: a framecopy of a vbr/vbr avi with
ffmpeg screws up the a/v-sync about the same way the above problem does.
framecopying it with mencoder afterwards does not fix the situation.
however, when i split the channels and merge them with mencoder again,
the a/v-sync is corrected. so i assume mencoder needs an option that
makes it ignore the a/v alignment from the file and calculate it on the
fly - i'm wondering, whether that would be about the same as mplayer's
-autosync option (i cannot claim i would understand the docu, but it's
late :}) ...

greetings