[MPlayer-users] 0.90 source code no longer compiles

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 03:28:10 CEST 2003

When MPlayer 0.90 came out, I got the source tarball and compiled and it
worked fine.

Later, I did a major hardware upgrade; aside from the hard drives,
virtually nothing in my system is the same as it was before.

In the middle of that, a bad RAM chip corrupted my root partition and I
had to reinstall; fortunately, /home is on a separate partition.

Somewhere along here (whether before or after the reinstall I forget), I
tried to recompile MPlayer from my archived copy of the 0.90 source
tarball. Whether or not it worked before the reinstall, I do not
remember, though I certainly have a working copy now; this may or may
not be the same one I had before upgrading, though now that I think
about it it probably isn't.

The compile no longer succeeds, and I have been able to make no sense of
the errors produced; it appears as if the problem is in one of MPlayer's
own source files, despite the fact that these same files compiled quite
well on my previous system.

I have since gotten MPlayer from CVS and tried to compile. There are
some interesting screw-ups there as well, most of which I've resolved,
but the relevant point is that much the same problem occurs in
attempting to compile that source tree.

The error occurs in libmpdemux/ve_divx4.c, and possibly with
libmpdemux/libmpcodecs.a. I have repeatedly gotten two different
patterns of error messages in numerous attempts at compiling MPlayer; I
have been unable to determine what conditions decide which set of
messages I get.

I have logged the output of make from both message sets, and can provide
either the full logs or just the error messages (as well as I can
determine what their boundaries are) from either; I am less certain of
my ability to provide information on my system configuration, but will
do what I can if such information is needed.

The only thing I can think of which might be causing this problem is
some difference between the header and/or library files which were
available on my system before the upgrade/reinstall and those which are
available now; however, this does not make much sense either, as the
configure script completes successfully.

What might be causing this problem? What can be done about it? What
further information might I need to provide, and how might I best
provide it?

--
       The Wanderer