[MPlayer-users] problem with configure script

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Tue Jun 17 15:20:11 CEST 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Gansser, Martin wrote:

> > Am Dienstag, 17. Juni 2003, 11:38:37 Uhr MET, schrieb Gansser, Martin:
> > > I tried to compile the last CVS on hpux 11.00, but i get
> > the following
> > > error message:
> > > ./configure[655]: Syntax error at line 873 : `==' is not expected.
> > > I could solve the problem by removing the following lines from
> > > configure:
> > > if darwin ; then
> > >     if [[ `sysctl -n hw.vectorunit` == 1 ]]; then
> > >         _altivec=yes
> > >     fi
> >
> > Hmm, it seems to me that /bin/sh on hpux is even more stupid than the
> > Solaris version. Why don't you look at the man page of sh and see what
> > they say about the syntax of [[.
>
> on hpux (bash, csh, sh) it works only with this syntax:
>
> only this two variants working:
>
> if ( `sysctl -n hw.vectorunit` == 1 ); then
> or
> if [ `sysctl -n hw.vectorunit` == 1 ]; then
>
> in the man page of sh I can't find [[

It's a "ksh"-ism, or more likely, the person who wrote that is using
"bash" on linux. The POSIX shell way would be:

if [ `sysctl -n hw.vectorunit` = 1 ]; then

(one equals, one bracket). It's becoming increasingly clear to me that
the mplayer people are not interested in portability to anything but
variations of linux. <grumble>

Frederick