[MPlayer-users] mplayer and alsa9/dmix

joy ping joy at medien.uni-weimar.de
Thu Jun 19 17:35:58 CEST 2003

i guess he doesn't do further research, cause currently i see no way to
implement working dmix-plug with existing alsa9-module of mplayer.
the problem is by design of the alsa9-module of mplayer. it uses a kind
push-algo but dmix-plug requieres a poll function. maybe someone writes a
alsa9-poll-module but that will something like a workaround of the of the
intended mplayer architecture, cause current mplayer (with alsa9) works in
the following way:
(very simple scheme)
read audio-data --> push to buffer of soundcard -->if space left in buffer
	|						|

so you have to introduce another buffer in the alsa-module and let the
driver poll from it. i think something like this is already implemented in
ao_sdl or arts?
but not at least, timing of mplayer depends in a way on the soundlayer,
what will not make the whole thing easyer.
i think, instead of fuzzling around with alsa-dmix a better aproach would
be to write an ao_jack which can do all things like dmix and more.

regards / mit freundlichen gruessen

joy

do interactive tv on www.remote-tv.de