[MPlayer-users] Re: Invisible subtitles on SOME dvd's

Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh sumant.oemrawsingh at wolmail.nl
Sat Jun 21 18:23:43 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 11:28:09PM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh wrote:
> >On certain dvd's (like region 2 Magnificent Warriors and other hong kong
> >legend dvds) the subtitles are completely invisible. I use the correct
> >-slang option, also tried the correct -sid option, -spuaa, -spualign etc.
>
> Have you tried it with other software players like Xine or Ogle? That
> could at least tell you whether this is MPlayer specific or not.

Just now, I've tried with Ogle (not compiled myself). It displays the
subtitles perfectly, whereas MPlayer just doesn't show even a hint of
something resembling subtitles. I didn't try with xine, because it's a much
bigger download, and already determined that it *is* MPlayer specific. I am
not really familiar with how the subtitles are extracted and how the palette
is chosen and so on, but maybe it has something to do with libdvdread 0.9.4
vs. libmpdvdkit? If this isn't possible, I'm not going to try to reinstall
everything, though.

Sumant

> Jonathan Rogers

Sumant S. R. Oemrawsingh