[MPlayer-users] Re: Invisible subtitles on SOME dvd's

Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh sumant.oemrawsingh at wolmail.nl
Sun Jun 22 03:00:58 CEST 2003

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 05:59:50PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > Anyway, as suggested as well, I'll try one of the other players later today,
> > and see if that works. The point of this was, actually to allow me to make a
> > copy of my dvd's (with subtitles in the black bars) using mencoder. IMHO
> > transcode is too slow and doesn't look as good.
>
> This will waste lots of bits and make the quality bad, for two
> reasons. As always, black borders hurt quality, but also the the
> hideous pixellated DVD subtitles don't encode well... Using -spuaa
> will help of course, but you might not like the blurred look. A much
> better approach is to keep subtitles in a separate file (vobsub, or
> better yet download nice pretty text subtitle files from dvd.box.sk or
> a similar site) and just apply them when you watch the movie. Or, if
> you want to use OGM or Matroska container, you can include the text
> subtitles in the same file as the movie.
>
> Some other benefits... If you have text subtitles, you don't have to
> worry about broken ifo palettes whatsoever. Or, if you extract
> vobsubs, you can edit the palette manually and fix it so they'll
> display right!

Yeah, you're probably right, thanks. Nevertheless, MPlayer *should* display
them properly and, although I will download the subtitles or convert them to
srt or something myself, it's a matter of honour for MPlayer, I think. If
Ogle can do it, and MPlayer can't... :)

Sumant

--
Sumant S. R. Oemrawsingh