[MPlayer-users] 3pass audio sync problem

Renai rlem6983 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Sun Jun 29 02:35:20 CEST 2003

hi,

wondering if anyone can help me out with a sync problem I am having. I am
encoding files from dvd using 3 pass encoding, and the latest version of
mplayer, 0.90. Can I also say firstly, that I am eternally grateful for
mplayer, it has meant that I can use linux fulltime. I recommend it to
everyone, it is one of the best pieces of software I have ever seen.

Anyway, I use the following commands:

mplayer -dumpstream -dvd 1

mencoder -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts
fast:preset=standard stream.dump

mencoder -oac copy -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:aspect=4/3:vbitrate=540:vpass=1 -vop lavcdeint stream.dump

mencoder -oac copy -o divx.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:aspect=4/3:vbitrate=540:vpass=2 -vop lavcdeint stream.dump

Now the problem that I am having, is that every time I play a file created
with these commands, the video and sound are slightly out of sync, enough so
that I can notice it, but not enough to really be annoying.

When I encode files with 2 pass encoding, using the following commands, I
don't have the same problem.

mencoder -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:aspect=4/3:vpass=1
-vop lavcdeint -oac copy stream.dump

mencoder -o divx.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:aspect=4/3:vpass=2
-vop lavcdeint -oac copy stream.dump

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong here, or is this a
limitation of mplayer?

thanks,

Renai LeMay