[MPlayer-users] segfault while trying to telecine

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Mar 2 02:32:53 CET 2003

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 05:39:31PM -0500, mplayer at interlinx.bc.ca wrote:

> Well, some experimentation later, I have discovered that whatever is
> causing this segfault, it's the same one as Richard mentions in this
> message:
>
> http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-February/030435.html
>
> Adding the scale filter to the filter chain when using telecine seems
> to correct (or rather, work around) that segfault.
>
> So now on to the results I got.  I am trying to telecine this file:
>
> http://a772.g.akamai.net/5/772/51/54ac95559cce9a/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c02589f25382f668c9329e0375e8177ae955ca3799026392f361c82d9ffe6bcc3a9b0267d439a71b/anger_management-tlr_480.mov
>
> The resulting file only seemed to have the left half of the picture
> telecined.  The right half remained progressive.
>
> When I tried -ofps 29.97 on the mencoder command line, I got a 29.97
> fps file, but it had 6 frames out of 4, not 5.  The first 3
> progressive frames, then two interlaced frames, then 1 more
> progressive frame (not sure which one it was, but I can figure that
> out if necessary) then back to the 3 progressive followed by 2
> interlaced, and so on.
>
> I suspected that the extra frame is a duplication because mencoder
> detected that I requested an output fps that was 20% higher than the
> input fps, but didn't account for the extrac frame that vf_telecine
> was creating.

Right. If you had RTFM'd, you would have seen that you also have to
use -fps 29.97. However, I'm not sure if this is even possible with
variable-fps formats like quicktime... You might have to put the movie
in an avi container first with -ovc copy -oac copy, then do the
telecine.

This is all pretty much of a hack until mplayer/mencoder actually has
proper support for changing fps in the filter layer...

Rich