[MPlayer-users] VIA82xx ALSA driver, mp 09.0rc7, noise using FP resampling

Darrell Berry darrell at ku24.com
Sun Mar 2 14:28:25 CET 2003

I have an Epia 800 board, running the ALSA via82xx sound driver. For
some reason this only outputs digital audio at 48000, which is fine with
sources sampled at theat rate, but mostly I'm playing MP3s which are at
44100. Leaving the upsampling to the chipset, I get the same high-end
distortion reported by others. Using mplayer -af resample=48000:0:1 I
get much better output, but I would rather use the floating point
resampler (replacing the '1' above with a '2'. However if I do this, I
get good quality audio, but with a very high level of 'hiss' behind the
signal, probably only 10dbB down or so from the music. I don't get this
with the integer-based resampling -- is there anything I should be
looking at, is this likely to be driver-related, or can I log this one
as a bug?

thx