[MPlayer-users] two cents: why dvdnav is needed

La Temperanza temperanza at softhome.net
Mon Mar 3 03:40:30 CET 2003

I have a bunch of Excel Saga anime DVDs. The Japanese cultural
references in this series are even more obscure then in most anime, and
the publisher has thoughtfully provided a feature called "AD Vid-Notes"
which pop up on the screen and explain them. Unfortunately, they are
turned off by default, and thus without dvdnav I would be unable to use
them.

I'm sure there are many other cases where the options menu of a DVD
contains more then just the basics. Parental controls come to mind. And
what about extras which are not in MPEG form, like image galleries?

If you're that dead-set against dvdnav, you can implement some arcane
system of accessing these kinds of things via the command line and I'll
be happy too. :p