[MPlayer-users] two cents: why dvdnav is needed

Jurriaan thunder7 at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 3 12:44:42 CET 2003

From: Roberto De Leo <deleo at unica.it>
Date: Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 07:23:08AM +0000

> >We're not dead-set against dvd navigation support. However, libdvdnav
> >is a really bad library and is not friendly to mplayer's way of doing
> >things. So if you want dvd nav support, code it yourself or find
> >someone willing to do it. But the current developers are not
> >interested in spending their time on this since they don't care for
> >silly menus.
> >
> You keep talking about "silly menus" but I could not see any suggestion
> on how to deal with DVDs that have scores of "titles" and no title list
> printed on the box.
> While it is perfectly fine that MPlayer developers have no intention of
> currently implementing them, it would show more brightness from you if
> you would stop considering silly the people that asks for dvd nav
> support, at least until you are able to suggest some valid alternative
> to it: in case you did not notice it, the fact that your DVDs have no
> complex title structure does not imply that dvd nav support is not
> useful, it only implies it is not useful to you...

There are other dvd-players with working menu-codes, so if the
developers of mplayer don't wish to code menu support, why pester them?
Download ogle or xine and enjoy your movie :-)

Jurriaan
--
In the part of this universe that we know there is great injustice, and
often the good suffer, and often the wicked prosper, and one hardly knows