[MPlayer-users] Problems building mplayer 0.90rc4 under Solaris 2.8/gcc

R. P. Channing Rodgers, M.D. rodgers at lhc.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Mar 3 22:27:11 CET 2003

Dear MPlayer Colleagues,

Enthused by the limited success of a colleague who built mplayer under
Solaris, I tried the weekend to build MPlayer 0.90rc4 on our Solaris 2.8
machines using gcc 2.95.2.  We had to apply the following patch to the
configure script (supplied by our colleague), changing line 1582 from:

   if test -z $_i18n_libs ; then

to:

   if test -z "$_i18n_libs" ; then

However, this was not enough for us, and we ran into many other problems,
summarized below.  If anyone has insights, we'd be grateful to read them.
Here is what our configure command looked like:

   ./configure \
         --prefix=/depot/package/mplayer_0.90rc4 \
         --datadir=/depot/package/mplayer_0.90rc4/vendor/share \
         --confdir=/depot/package/mplayer_0.90rc4/vendor/etc \
         --enable-gui

I append a list of problems compiled by my colleague Ziying Sherwin.
Thanks in advance for any helpful remarks.  Mplayer is an impressive piece
of work, and it would be lovely to have it available...

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers

1) Since we install our open-source packages under /depot/package, all
   the header files are referred through the path "/depot/include" and all the
   libraries through "/depot/lib".  It seemed that the only way to pass those
   paths to the configuration file was by setting the environment variable CC:

      setenv CC "gcc -I/depot/include -L/depot/lib"

   If we do not pass the directories in this way, the configure script can not
   find the libpng, jpeg, zlib and other libraries that we installed.
   Manually setting the environment variable CFLAGS and LDFLAGS does not
   solve the problem.  We still got the error message:

      Error: PNG support required for GUI compilation, please install libpng and libpng-dev packages.

   If we set both CFLAGS and CC, the configuration script prints out messages
   saying:

      MPlayer compilation will use the CFLAGS set by you, but:

          *** ***  DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF IT DOES NOT COMPILE/WORK!  *** ***

      It is strongly recommended to let MPlayer choose the correct CFLAGS!
      To do so, execute 'CFLAGS= ./configure <options>'

2) All the C files under sub-directory libvo do not include the header file
   "config.h" properly. The line should be:

      #include "../config.h"

   instead of

      #include "config.h"

   We also have to do the same modification to file libmpcodecs/vd_lcl.c and
   libavcodec/common.h.

3) After all the above changes, we still get an error message in the end
   (which I have broken up on multiple lines for readability):

      gcc -I/depot/include -L/depot/lib -O4  -mcpu=v8 -pipe -ffast-math
         -fomit-frame-pointer -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
         -Ilibmpdemux -Iloader -Ilibvo  -I/depot/package/gtk+_1.2.8/include
         -I/depot/package/glib_1.2.8/lib/glib/include
         -I/depot/package/glib_1.2.8/include -I/usr/openwin/include
         -o mplayer mplayer.o mp_msg.o cpudetect.o codec-cfg.o cfgparser.o
         my_profile.o spudec.o playtree.o playtreeparser.o asxparser.o vobsub.o
         subreader.o sub_cc.o find_sub.o m_config.o m_option.o parser-cfg.o
         m_struct.o unrarlib.o mixer.o parser-mpcmd.o libvo/libvo.a
         libao2/libao2.a   Gui/libgui.a libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a
         mp3lib/libMP3.a liba52/liba52.a libmpeg2/libmpeg2.a
         libaf/libaf.a libmpdemux/libmpdemux.a input/libinput.a
         postproc/libpostproc.a postproc/libswscale.a linux/libosdep.a
         -Llibmpdvdkit2 -lmpdvdkit libavcodec/libavcodec.a -lvorbis -logg -lpng
         -lz -lz -ljpeg -ltermcap -lsocket -lnsl -lgif -L/usr/openwin/lib
         -lXext -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -L/depot/package/gtk+_1.2.8/lib
         -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib -lgtk -lgdk
         -L/depot/package/glib_1.2.8/lib -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext
         -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -lm -L/depot/package/glib_1.2.8/lib -lglib -lGL
         -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXext -lX11 -lsocket -lnsl -lsocket -lnsl
         -L/depot/package/esound_0.2.8/lib -lesd
         -L/depot/package/audiofile_0.1.7/lib -laudiofile -lm -lresolv -lposix4
         -lnsl -lsocket -laudio -lXt -L/usr/openwin/lib -lXext -lX11 -lsocket
         -lnsl -lposix4 -lkstat -lpthread -ldl -liconv -lm
       mpcodecs_ad_hwac3                   libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a(ad.o)
       mpcodecs_ad_liba52                  libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a(ad.o)
       esd_get_latency                     libao2/libao2.a(ao_esd.o)
       mpcodecs_ad_mp3lib                  libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a(ad.o)
       mpcodecs_vd_libmpeg2                libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a(vd.o)
       ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to mplayer
       collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
       make: *** [mplayer] Error 1