[MPlayer-users] mencoder Audio Quality

Christopher Mason cmason at cmason.com
Tue Mar 4 07:43:34 CET 2003

I'm a relative newbie to mencoder.  I've read quite a bit of the website
and have been able to produce (using three pass encoding) AVIs that look
quite good.  I'm struggling with audio quality though.  I've tried two
different source DVDs and two different sets of LAME compression options.
Both sound tinny, and have a definite high pitched noise component.  At
first I thought this was because my MP3 bit rate was not high enough.  But
the latest rip I did had an average bit rate greater than 150kbps.  I've
noticed that both DVDs are recorded at 48khz.  This bit rate is preserved
in the MP3 audio track.  I'm wondering if maybe the software sample rate
conversion is poor (I'm using MacOS X) and is contributing the tinny sound
and noise artifacts.  Should I be applying sample rate conversion in the
making of the AVI?  Will this be better than the SRC done at playback time
(I've tried both vlc and quicktime)?  If so, what options should I use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Please refer to a FAQ as
appropriate.  None of the FAQs I've seen dealt specifically with audio
quality.

-c

[ Christopher Mason    <cmason at cmason.com>   http://www.cmason.com/ ]