[MPlayer-users] mencoderproblem

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Mar 4 23:02:14 CET 2003

Christoffer Gurell wrote:

>>My wife likes windows but media player is prohibit in my house.Find some
>>better app (bsplayer, vplayer, allplayer and many others).
>

> im with you but the problem is that i intend to publish a few movies on the web
> and it's not an option to tell _everyone_ out there to "get a better
> movieplayer"
>
>  / christoffer

A while back, somebody on this list recommended Crystal Player. I
checked it out recently, and while I haven't used it much, it seems to
be a fully-featured and usable player (with decent keyboard control!).
Since the program is only a 500KB executable and not a several-MB
installer, you could link to it from the page where you distribute
movies without causing your users a hassle.

That being said, I have noticed recently that WMP in Windows XP won't
play the files I've made, but I haven't had the time or operating
system - eewww :~) - to make a decent report of it.

If you have the ability to do so, it might be helpful for the developers
to know if older versions of mencoder had this incompatability (I don't
think they did) and, if so, the date the change was made. Use old CVS
snapshots or the -D option in cvs to narrow down. Then somebody might
have an easier time finding out what it is that breaks that version of
WMP.

-Corey