[MPlayer-users] Athlon Crash :(

emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net emaillist+mpu at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Mar 5 04:09:59 CET 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 01:35 am, Gabucino wrote:
> FEATURE REQUEST - RTFM (--target)

Wow, that was fast :-)

But that's not what I mean.
"target platform (i386-linux, arm-linux, etc)"

I wasn't referring to a "platform" but the specific CPU type
to override the ./configure script's detection.

i.e. "--cpu=athlon-tbird" (for exactly this problem where the
CPU really is an athlon-4 or athlon-xp [what's the difference
between the two?] but due to mainboard issues(?) the CPU has to
be "forced" to a lower type to avoid illegal instruction errors.)

Not a BIG deal - I can manually edit the Makefile that the configure
script generates, it'd just be handy to force it in the configure script to
save a step...)

It'd also be handy for using a fast machine to compile mplayer for a
slower-cpu machine.  Again, possible to be done manually, it'd just be handy
to be able to, for example, force "pentium" (i.e. pentium classic) and have
it disable mmx, sse, etc. even if I'm compiling on my Athlon-xp system...